Volunteering at our railway – if you’re interested in railways (or not, maybe just the engineering?), volunteering is a good way of getting out, socialising and learning new skills. If you’re looking for a job (be it within the railway industry or not), it can also be beneficial to your CV too, as employers are always looking for dedicated employees.
We have many roles at the railway, the main departments are:
- Operations – Includes duties like Signalman, Guard, Ticket Inspector, Crossing Keeper, Porter, etc
- Loco Department – Includes duties like Driver, Fireman, Cleaner, also includes loco restoration
- Carraige & Wagon – Responsible for our fleet of historic rolling stock, and its maintenance and restoration.
- Permanent Way – Permanent Way keep our 4 ½ miles of track up to standard.
- Signals & Telegraph – Keeps our signalling infrastructure going strong!
We also have vacancies in the catering team (on train buffet, cafe staff, etc), in our telecoms group, who keep our internal comms operational, on our lineside clearance trains, in the shop, keeping our 5 stations clean and tidy, and even for stewards on our silver service dining train, plus many smaller groups, of which there are too many to list!
If you’re interested in volunteering, just contact us through our contact us form, and we’ll get you directed to the right place!