The DFRS was formed in 1970, mainly as the manpower providing arm of the railway. We’re always looking for skilled individuals to join us in growing our unique heritage railway. Even if you’re not interested in railways at all (maybe just engineering?), volunteering with us is a good way of getting out, socialising and learning new skills. If you’re looking for a job (be it within the railway industry or not), it can also be beneficial to your CV too, as employers are always looking for those who put in that little bit extra – and volunteering is certainly viewed as a plus point.
Whatever industry or background you come from, whatever age, male or female, we have many roles at the railway and certainly one to suit you, from customer facing roles like guard, signalman, ticket inspector, to behind the scenes roles like permanent way, rolling stock restoration and lineside clearance. The main departments are:
- Operations – Includes duties like Signalman, Guard, Ticket Inspector, Crossing Keeper, Porter, etc.
- Loco Department – Includes duties like Driver, Fireman, Cleaner, also includes loco restoration
- Carraige & Wagon – Responsible for our fleet of historic rolling stock, and its maintenance and restoration.
- Permanent Way – Permanent Way keep our 4 ½ miles of track up to standard.
- Signals & Telegraph – Keeps our signalling infrastructure going strong!
- Catering Team – Serving up food and drink on our buffets, in our cafe and on our silver service dining train.
- Telecoms – We have our own purpose built in-house telephone communication system, maintained by our group of telecoms engineers. You can see some of their progress here.
- Commercial – Roles include helping in our shop, ticket offices, and our administration office.
Are you interested in volunteering? Our volunteer liaison team would love to hear from you! We run 1-on-1 induction courses throughout the year so you can come and see what we’re all about, before you commit to joining up! Please send an email to email@example.com , and someone will be in touch as soon as possible.