The Dean Forest Railway Society (DFRS for short) provides fundraising and volunteers for the restoration, operation and maintenance of the Dean Forest Railway.
Society members work in large variety of roles, from operational roles such as Signalman, Guard and Ticket Inspector to maintenance roles such as working with the Permanent Way gang keeping our track up to scratch, or restoring our fleet of steam locomotives to their former glory.
The Society also runs various fundraising schemes to help keep the railway up and running – this can be through our annual draw, which, among other things, has previously funded the opening of Whitecroft Station and the purchase of a Road Rail Vehicle, or through one of our share schemes.
All in all we provide an important role to the railway, and we always need support!
What have we done?
Amongst other things, we’ve helped fund, via our draw and other fundraising schemes:
- The Parkend extension, which opened in 2006
- The Whitecroft station re-opening in 2012
- The purchase of our own Road-Rail vehicle in 2013
- The restoration of various locomotives, including steam locos 5541, 9681 and Wilbert
- The ongoing quest for a new volunteer accommodation block, 2013 – present
Lets add more items to that list!